Research version 1.0 · 27 August 2026. This site distinguishes documentary evidence, later tradition, physical observation and present inference. It is a continuing investigation: unresolved points are left visible rather than silently filled in.

A doubtful name, a real earthwork, a long historical tradition

Schloss
Connowedit

A fortified earthwork once stood on the Haff shore west of Margen, near Caporn. Whether it was the unnamed castle attacked by Glappo in the thirteenth century—and whether its medieval name was truly Connowedit—remains unproved.

The evidence is strongest when its separate strands remain separate: an unnamed medieval castle, a later and unstable place-name, a real coastal earthwork, and a much younger legend joining Martin Golin to the Vierbrüdersäule.

Hans Crome's 1940 plan of the horseshoe-shaped earthwork west of Margen beside the Haff
Hans Crome’s 1940 survey of the Schloßberg bei Margen. The surviving banks form a horseshoe open towards the Haff. Crome identifies the site with Conowedit only “according to tradition”.

Current best-supported assessment

  • The physical site is real. Crome reports that Guise recorded it in the 1820s; Crome surveyed the surviving banks in 1940; modern photographs show substantial wooded relief and an embanked approach through the shore vegetation.
  • The earliest narrative does not name the castle. Peter of Dusburg describes Glappo attacking a castle in Samland near the Haff and almost opposite Brandenburg. Nikolaus von Jeroschin also leaves it unnamed.
  • The late-fifteenth-century name is now better anchored. The Vienna “author’s copy” of the Utrecht Chronicle of the Teutonic Order explicitly says that the castle “was called Cenauwe”. Later witnesses preserve related forms including Conouwe, Cerauwe and Conouwedit. Hirsch’s derivation from the personal name Steynow remains plausible but unproved.
  • The complete Golin story is late and composite. Schütz supplies an older Pelusa raid and several names. Jester’s 1784 account joins this material to Connowedit, four slain companions and the Vierbrüdersäule through an unidentified “old manuscript”.

The central conclusion

One landscape, three histories

Text The medieval episode

Glappo, Steynow and an unnamed castle belong to the thirteenth-century narrative preserved by Dusburg and Jeroschin.

Place The Margen earthwork

A coastal enclosure west of Margen was physically recorded in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Its date and builders remain uncertain.

Tradition The later legend

Conowedit, Martin Golin and the Vierbrüdersäule became increasingly entangled in antiquarian and popular retellings.

A defensible formulation: a genuine earthwork survives or survived at the traditional Conowedit site; an unnamed medieval castle existed in approximately the same geographical setting; the identity of the two is possible, but not demonstrated.
A raised track or embanked approach through reeds and trees towards the Frisches Haff at the traditionally identified Conowedit site
Raised track or embanked approach towards the Haff. Photograph by Vasiliy, 2011, used with permission; source and field discussion: forum-kenig.ru.

The site today

The landscape can now be followed on maps and photographs

The provisional location is approximately 54.6908° N, 20.3003° E, on the Haff shore west of the former Margen estate. The Russian field report describes an approach through allotments and across the old Königsberg wastewater channel before reaching the banks and shoreline.

The photographs do not by themselves date the earthworks. They are valuable because they place Crome’s abstract plan back into a difficult, overgrown coastal landscape.

Examine the physical site and maps →

Development of the evidence and tradition

A brief chronology

  1. Glappo’s final campaign.

    Dusburg describes the attack on an unnamed Samland castle, Glappo’s betrayal by Steynow, his capture and execution.

  2. Dusburg completes his chronicle.

    The earliest narrative source used in this investigation.

  3. Jeroschin renders Dusburg into German verse.

    The castle remains unnamed.

  4. The Utrecht Chronicle supplies a name.

    Its Vienna “author’s copy”, produced in direct cooperation with the original author, says that the castle was called Cenauwe. Later witnesses preserve related variant forms.

  5. Hennenberger places Conowedit near Capurn.

    His wording is cautious: a castle “is said” to have stood in the district.

  6. Schütz prints the Pelusa raid.

    Martin Galin and two recognisable companions appear, but no Connowedit residence is named.

  7. Huhn and Rohde survey explanations of the Vierbrüdersäule.

    Their dissertation contains no Golin–Connowedit account.

  8. Jester publishes the complete joined legend.

    Connowedit, Golin, four companions, the 1295 ambush and the monument are combined.

  9. Guise is reported to record the earthwork.

    Crome later describes five drawings, including a circular ground plan; the originals are now the subject of an archive enquiry.

  10. Voigt accepts the identification.

    He argues chiefly from the location near Caporn and opposite Brandenburg.

  11. The story enters illustrated juvenile literature.

    The Jugend-Album turns Golin’s career and the fall of his companions into an energetic historical romance.

  12. Crome publishes the surviving ramparts.

    The Margen Schloßberg is documented physically; its historical identification remains traditional.

  13. Russian local researchers visit the site.

    Photographs and maps reconnect the historical records with the surviving landscape.

Research status

What has changed since the first draft

Forum material and permission

The relevant photographs, provisional coordinate, Russian map crop and modern book references have been examined. Vasiliy has kindly permitted reuse of his 2011 field photographs with a link to the original thread.

Cenauwe reassessed

Rombert Stapel’s modern edition identifies Vienna Hs. 392 as an “author’s copy”. Its text already gives the castle the name Cenauwe, narrowing the textual problem to where the Utrecht compiler obtained that name.

Guise enquiry sent

The Berlin Prussia-Fundarchiv has been asked about the five drawings and Crome’s associated notes. A response can be incorporated as a later research update.

Continue through the dossier

Four ways into the problem

The name and the chronicles

Follow the unnamed castle from Dusburg through the unstable readings of the Younger Hochmeisterchronik, Hennenberger, Voigt, Töppen and Hirsch.

The Margen site and its maps

Compare Jester’s topography, Guise and Crome, Messtischblatt states, modern field photographs and the provisional location.

Enlarged source image