Research bibliography, version 1.0. References are given at the level needed to audit the argument and follow the principal sources. The dossier remains open to correction as new archival material appears.

Annotated bibliography

Sources, maps and research status

The sources are arranged by the role they play in the argument. Historical claims on the other pages are deliberately kept no stronger than the material listed here supports.

Core documentary sources

Dusburg pages on Glappo

Peter of Dusburg, Chronicon terrae Prussiae

Scriptores rerum Prussicarum, vol. I, relevant episode pp. 117–118 in the working extract

The earliest narrative: Glappo, Steynow, an unnamed Samland castle near the Haff and opposite Brandenburg, capture and execution.

Essential

Rombert Stapel (ed.), The Utrecht Chronicle of the Teutonic Order (2024)

Routledge; diplomatic edition and parallel English translation of Vienna, Deutschordenszentralarchiv Hs. 392

Stapel identifies Hs. 392 as an “author’s copy”, written in direct cooperation with the original author. In the Glappo passage it explicitly states ende dese borch hiet Cenauwe—“and this castle was called Cenauwe”. This anchors the basic name at or very near the chronicle’s late-fifteenth-century composition, without proving that it was the castle’s thirteenth-century name.

Hirsch's Younger Hochmeisterchronik variant readings

Theodor Hirsch (ed.), Die jüngere Hochmeisterchronik

Scriptores rerum Prussicarum, vol. V (1874), pp. 99–100; sigla key p. 43

Still valuable for the later manuscript witnesses. The apparatus records Conouwe, Cenauwe, Cerauwe and Conouwedit; Hirsch proposes that Cenauwe was formed from Dusburg’s personal name Steynow.

Hennenberger Capurn entry

Caspar Hennenberger, Erclerung der Preüssischen grössern Landtaffel (1595)

Relevant entries pp. 43 and 58; locator Capurn N.13

The earliest source currently known to attach Conowedit to the Capurn district. The two entries cross-reference one another and are not independent evidence.

Schütz Pelusa account

Caspar Schütz, Historia rerum Prussicarum (1599)

Glappo narrative around fol. 38v; Pelusa story pp. 45–46

Provides Martin Galin, Conrad Deuffeln, Claus Stowemeelen and most of the raid later incorporated by Jester. It does not place the party at Connowedit.

Antiquarian synthesis, popular reception and criticism

Jester title page

Theodor Ernst Jester, Historische Abhandlung und gegründete Nachricht… (Königsberg, 1784)

Vierbrüdersäule narrative and “Nachricht von dem vesten Schloß Connowedit”

The decisive eighteenth-century synthesis. It joins Schütz’s Pelusa material to Connowedit and the monument through an unidentified “old manuscript”, and gives a valuable description of the site.

Johann Christoph Huhn / Johann Jacob Rohde, dissertation on the Vierbrüdersäule (1717)

German transcription and English translation prepared on Prussian Curios

A wide survey of explanations for the monument. Its failure to mention the joined Golin–Connowedit narrative is meaningful negative evidence.

Voigt page 319

Johannes Voigt, Geschichte Preußens, vol. III (1828)

Relevant discussion pp. 317–321, especially p. 319

Accepts Konowedit through topographical reasoning while acknowledging the unnamed castle and uncertain Cerauwe. Informed interpretation, not proof.

Töppen page 78

Max Töppen, Geschichte der preussischen Historiographie von P. v. Dusburg bis auf K. Schütz

Relevant discussion pp. 77–79, especially p. 78

Rejects Conouwedit and related names as pseudo-learned embellishment in the Younger Hochmeisterchronik.

Jugend-Album illustration of the four brothers

“Die Vierbrüdersäule”, by “M. R.”, in Jugend-Album, Jahrgang 1853

Text pp. 67–73; coloured plate within the article sequence

A long and entertaining popular expansion in which the four companions storm Konoweidit and Golin receives it as hereditary property. Valuable for reception history, not independent medieval evidence.

The physical site and maps

Crome plan of Margen earthwork

Hans Crome, “Führer zu den frühgeschichtlichen Burgwällen im Samlande”

Prussia, vol. 34 (1940), site discussion and plan pp. 7–8

The strongest published record of the surviving earthwork. Crome carefully separates the physical banks from their traditional identification as Conowedit and summarises Guise’s five earlier drawings.

Crome regional map

Johann Michael Guise, survey sheets, 1826–1828

Five Conowedit images reported by Crome; archive enquiry sent to Berlin

The principal unresolved archival lead. Search variants include Konowedit, Conowedit, Connowedit, Kaporn/Caporn, Margen/Maargen and “Konowedit am Haffe”.

Hennenberger map of the Capurn area

Hennenberger’s Grosse Landtafel von Preussen (1576)

Large nine-sheet woodcut map; Capurn N.13

Useful for regional orientation. It marks Capurn but no separate Conowedit and is too generalised to test Jester’s projecting hill.

Forum crop of Messtischblatt 1387 or 228

Messtischblatt 1387/228, Brandenburg (Frisches Haff), 1:25,000

Herder Institute states: 1908, 1914 and two 1937 copies; forum crop from another, unidentified revision state

The forum map shares the official survey framework but depicts the site differently, including a straight embanked approach. Exact printing state remains open.

Modern Russian accounts

Bakhtin's redrawing of Crome's plan

A. P. Bakhtin, Замки и укрепления Немецкого ордена в северной части Восточной Пруссии

Conowedit entry and figure 170; notes cite Dusburg, Voigt’s Namen-Codex and Crome

Useful evidence for modern Russian reception. The plan and physical description derive from Crome; the identification of Dusburg’s unnamed castle as Conowedit is accepted rather than argued.

A. B. Gubin and V. N. Strokin, Крепости и замки Восточной Пруссии

Entries “Wargen—Kotelnikovo” and “Kaporn (Conowedit)—Zhukovskoye”

Contains useful local orientation near the sewage works and former Zhukovskoye, but conflates Wargen, Kaporn, Conowedit, the Sudovians and the Vierbrüdersäule. Its unnamed early maps and etymology remain unverified.

Open research

Current status and next actions

LeadPurposeStatus
Berlin Prussia-FundarchivLocate Guise’s five images, Crome slips and any photographs or modern references.Enquiry sent; awaiting reply
Russian forumField photographs, modern location and map discussion.Photo permission received; exact Messtischblatt printing still open
Jester’s “old manuscript”Find title, provenance, owner, quotation or later archival reference.Unidentified
Early maps dated 1542, 1547, 1584 and 1638Test whether they show Conowedit, Caporn or merely the general locality.Unverified claim
Utrecht Chronicle sourcesDetermine, if possible, the immediate source from which the compiler obtained Cenauwe.Open textual question

Images and publication

Historical scans

The historical illustrations are small research excerpts from old books and maps used for identification, comparison and commentary. Repository or digital-source links are supplied where available.

Forum photographs

The two 2011 site photographs are by Vasiliy. He explicitly permitted their reuse on 27 August 2026; each caption links to the original forum thread, as requested.

Acknowledgements

Particular thanks are due to Vasiliy of forum-kenig.ru for the detailed 2011 field post, the modern site photographs, and permission to reproduce them here. The original discussion also provided an important route into modern Russian maps and literature on the site.

The Berlin Museum für Vor- und Frühgeschichte / Prussia-Fundarchiv has been approached concerning the Guise material; any reply or newly located drawings will be incorporated in a future revision.

Editorial conventions

Name forms

Connowedit is used as the modern project title. Historical forms—Conowedit, Konowedit, Conouwedit, Cenauwe, Conouwe and Cerauwe—are retained when discussing particular witnesses.

Castle terminology

“Castle” translates historical Burg or Schloß. “Earthwork” is preferred for the Margen site until its date, builders and structural form are established.

Enlarged source image